Pages

Monday, December 28, 2009

00041

This year for Christmas I decided to make my grandma a mosaic stepping stone for her garden. She seems to like them (I made her a one for her birthday because she only had one) and she said she didn't want any nick knacks and she asked me multiple times if I was "making something" for her.



That's the last one I made her: beyond basic. I used a kit that came with glow-in-the-dark stars. This time I decided to step it up and actually go with a mosaic picture. The hardest part was coming up with a design. I ended up with the snowman because, well, she likes snowmen, and when it came down to it I couldn't think of anything else to try to make.






First I traced my mold on a piece of junk paper. Then I laid out the pieces within those lines. It was slightly frustrating, trying to find pieces that worked. I also had to take a trip to Jo-Ann's to buy some brown (they did not have black) for the hat. I fooled around with the notion of making it have eyes, but it was just too small of an area.



This was the end result. I'm not totally happy with it, but it did teach me a few things. I tried to use the different shades of colors that came with my glass, but I think they just turned out looking weird and I really wish I hadn't. And the mixture I got on the glass was disastrous to my mental health when I had to scrub it all off after it had dried, that probably took longer than the process of putting it together. I'm not sure if my grandma liked it (it's not as if she would tell me she didn't) because in all the craziness of Christmas day I was not around when she opened it.

No comments:

Post a Comment